JOB TITLE – IT Systems Manager
DEPARTMENT – Information Technology
The Systems manager is a true hybrid role, part software management and part hardware management. Offering a modern look at the management of critical applications that ensure the company’s continual evolution and success. Smartly introducing modern systems and applications whilst facilitating the proper implementation and maximization of existing application systems. The Systems Manager’s ultimate goal is to drive efficiency, by facilitating the systems to work effectively across all aspects of the company.
The employee will be responsible for the technical design, planning, implementation, maintenance, training, and the management of the daily mission critical enterprise application systems. Working with the software developer and the IT Manager the Systems Manager will ensure all company technology is deployed and used effectively. Additionally, will be required to manage and maintain Local Area Network (LAN) and Wide Area Network (WAN) network connections to ensure high level of availability and security to support business applications.
Academic /Educational Requirement
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent.
Specialized Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- 5 years of experience in an IT support environment with 2 years at supervisory level.
- Experience working with Application systems & software (Accounting ERP, Point of Sale, Booking systems and application systems).
- Sound knowledge of IP networking & communication systems (MCSA, MCSE, CCNA preferred)
- Network Administration experience including troubleshooting.
- Knowledge of the latest Windows Desktop, Server Operation Systems and Microsoft Office
- Working Knowledge of installing, configuring and maintaining Dell Servers & CISCO devices.
- Knowledge of Wireless technologies, Data Backup and Retrieval systems.
- Good command of Microsoft SQL and SQL server tools
- Knowledge of SaaS and VPN solutions.
- Ability to diagnose, troubleshoot and resolve IT related hardware and network issues
- Working Knowledge of Microsoft Great Plains ERP and Microsoft Retail Management System (RMS 2.0) would be an asset.
- Must have good communication skills (verbal & written).
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and prioritize effectively.
- Knowledge of maintaining telephone systems (PBX’s).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Understand the technical setup of all systems being utilized by the company.
- Manage the technical setup, maintenance & deployment of the systems used by the company.
- Provide the implementation, training & daily liaising on the company systems.
- Work with software developer to make changes and adjustments to systems to facilitate efficiency and effective use of systems.
- Become the intermediary between all departments to ensure system roadblocks, hurdles and challenges are worked through in a timely manner.
- Ensure the smooth running of all application systems, anti-virus software, print services and email provision;
- Provide use support to users of all company application systems.
- Coordinating training on all company systems (applications & other).
- Work with all staff to ensure daily system needs are addressed proving all tiers of support. Provide users with appropriate support and advice
- Work with System manufacturers, consultants, and resellers to ensure company systems are kept up to date and the company is getting full benefit of its use.
- Work closely with the IT Manager on LAN & WAN support services.
- Troubleshoot and correct LAN & WAN connectivity problems.
- Install, configure, and troubleshoot desktops, laptops, and Applications for end-users.
- Setup and ensure functioning of network servers (Active Directory, Terminal Server, DNS, File and Print, etc.)
- Active Directory Administration & Management
- Schedule upgrades and security backups of hardware and software systems.
- Provide secure access to the network for remote users;
- To assist in the compilation of documentation, guidelines and procedures and ensure they are disseminated to users.
- Ensure the security of data from internal and external attack;
- Stays current with technological developments in systems administration technology and recommends ways for the department to take advantage of new technology.
- Co-ordinate support activities with remote offices as required
- Ensure change control process is followed for all changes to production systems.
- Perform other related duties.
Special Conditions Associated with the job
- Company spread across north coast, so some local traveling required.
- May occasionally be required to work beyond normal hours.
- Will be required to work with users from other countries with English not being a first language.
- Must have a reliable motor vehicle
- Extremely mature & trustworthy
- Must be able to work under pressure & off own initiative with minimal guidance and support.
- Must understand and appreciate fast paced, growing environments where things are always changing.
Directly – Chief Operating Officer
Indirectly – N/A
Supervision Given to:
Directly – system contractors, application suppliers etc.
Indirectly – N/A
Internally – general staff, application users, management & directors
Externally – service providers
The job is satisfactorily completed when:
- Company application systems are operating in a smooth manner with minimal application issues.
- Users are provided with high quality customer support to ensure that their functions are enhanced and improved using the application systems.
- Application system & user issues are resolved in a timely manner.
- System Manager works effectively and closely with IT manager to ensure LAN & WAN infrastructure meets the company’s requirement.
- IT department is operating on budget and in a systematic and organized way.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org