Are there any entry requirements to enter Belize?
- Passport: Visitors to Belize must possess a passport valid for at least three months after the date of arrival and a return ticket with sufficient funds to cover their stay.
- Visitors are given a one-month stay, after which an extension can be applied for with the Immigration Department.
- Visas are not required for Citizens of the United States and its territories, Canada, United Kingdom and its territories, European Union, Caribbean and Central American countries.
- For visitors driving/boating into Belize from Guatemala or Mexico, a temporary import permit must be secured at the point of entry. Vehicle/vessel permits are valid for 30 days.
Traveling with Children? Children under 18 years of age must have proper documentation including a valid passport and letter of parental consent. Children traveling with one parent require a notarized letter of authority from the other parent indicating travel consent.
How do I get to Belize?
- By Air: Commercial airlines all land at the Phillip S.W. International Airport (PGIA) in Ladyville, just minutes from Belize City. Private airplanes need to be cleared through the Belize Airport Authority and Civil Aviation Department at the PGIA. Airlines servicing Belize are Groupo TACA, American Airlines, United Airlines, Delta Airlines and US Airways.
- By Land: Belize has two main border points: Santa Elena at the northern border with Mexico and Benque Viejo del Carmen on the western border with Guatemala.
- By Sea: Seasports where vessels may clear Customs and Immigration are located in Belize City and San Pedro Town in the Belize District, Big Creek and Dangriga Town in Stann Creek and Punta Gorda Town in the Toledo District.
I want to visit Belize but not sure where or what all I want to do. Can you help me plan my itinerary in Belize?
Absolutely! Chukka can work with you to design your vacation just the way you like it. Send a note or speak to someone here at Chukka, or if you’re arriving on a cruise ship you can book with your cruiseline directly.
Are the tours on the website the only tours that Chukka offers in Belize?
Chukka can customize tours and develop personalized tour itineraries based on your requirements and ideas. There are so many things to do in Belize that we are sure to find the right tour or tours for you.
What is Belize’s time zone?
Time observed year round is GMT-6, which is the same as United States Central Standard Time. Daylight Savings Time is not observed in Belize.
What languages are spoken in Belize?
English is the only official language of Belize due to being a former British colony; however, it is only spoken as a first or only language by a small percent of the population. Most Belizeans use the more familiar Belize Kriol, an English-based Creole, although Spanish, Creole, Garifuna and Mayan are widely spoken throughout the country.
What currency is used in Belize and what is it worth?
The Belize Dollar (BZ$) has a fixed rate of exchange of BZ $2 to US $1. Most hotels, resorts, restaurants, and tour operators will accept U.S. currency, traveler’s checks, or credit cards. When using your credit cards in Belize, most establishments will add a 5% service charge to your bill. Always make sure that you understand which dollar rate is being quoted.
What type of medical services does Belize offer?
There is a well-staffed public hospital and several private doctors in Belize City. The district towns and larger villages also have hospitals or clinics.
What is the current population of Belize?
334,297 people (Est. July 2013)
Where is Belize Located?
Belize is located in Central America, bordered by Guatemala to the south and west, by Mexico to the north and by the Caribbean sea to the east.
How long will I be able to stay in Belize?
Visitors are permitted to stay in Belize for a period not to exceed thirty (30) days. The following category of persons may be granted by the Immigration Department extensions of up to three (3) months at a time. These three months would be after the thirty day period given by the Immigration Officer at the port of entry.
- Business Persons
- Potential Investors
- Persons living in remote areas away from the Immigration Office
What are the business hours in Belize?
Commerce Industry: Monday – Friday 8am – noon, 1pm – 5pm.
Some businesses are open on Saturdays: 8am – 1pm.
Banks: Monday, Tuesday & Thursday 8am – 3pm, Wednesday 8am – 1pm, Friday 8am – 4:30pm
**Note that hours vary by bank and destination.**